A solution for stocking information on your hard disk drive when the information becomes larger than its capacity is using archiving applications. Those programs have the role to compress information to enlarge the stocking capacity of your computer drives. Once compressed, the information loses its real signification on the system processor level. This is the reason why you first need to decompress a compressed file before you use it – to view its original information.
The archiving applications can be classified like this:
- compress files – ARJ, RAR, WINRAR, WINZIP;
- compress hard disk – STACKER.
The compress is done following the steps:
- search a sequence that repeats in the file;
- the sequence is replaced with a symbol (like a shortcut);
- after scanning the whole file or hard disk an index of the used symbols is added.